Knee Surgeon Melbourne
Mr Shane Blackmore has a sub-speciality interest in knee surgery. More specifically this includes management of sports knee injuries, as well as the use of robotics for knee replacement surgery.
Shane completed an accredited fellowship at the world-renowned NYU Langone Orthopaedic Hospital in New York City. It ranks as a top hospital in North America for Orthopaedic Surgery. The focus of his fellowship was arthroscopic (key hole) procedures as well as joint replacement
In private practice, Shane treats all types of knee problems, including the use of robotics to aid in knee replacement. The use of robots has lead to an increased number of people avoiding a total knee replacement and instead being indicated for a unicompartmental or partial knee replacement. This is an area in which Shane has had particular training and has a special interest. He manages people with all levels of insurance including patients being treated through Workcover and TAC.
Shane runs a Surgical Observation Centre at St Vincent’s Private Hospital for other surgeons wishing to learn Robotic Joint Replacement. Apart from teaching other surgeons at specialised courses Shane also has visiting surgeons from around Australia and other countries attend his surgeries to learn how Robotic Surgery could improve their joint replacement operations.
Shane is the Director of Orthopaedic training at the Austin Hospital, a major public hospital of around 25 Orthopaedic Surgeons. His main role outside of the training of future Orthopaedic Surgeons is the management of sports knee injuries. He performs a large number of ACL reconstructions, as well as other arthroscopic surgeries, including meniscal repairs and cartilage procedures. He has a particular interest in complex knee injuries.
For commonly performed procedures, as well as rehabilitation protocols for many of Shane’s knee procedures, see below.
- MPFL reconstruction
- Tibial tubercle osteotomy
- Meniscectomy Chondral Debridement Rehab Protocol
- Meniscus Repair Rehab Protocol
- ACL Bone-Patellar Tendon-Bone Rehab Protocol
- ACL Hamstrings Autograft Rehab Protocol
- ACL and MCL Combined Rehab Protocol
- Microfracture of the Femoral Condyle Rehab Protocol
- Microfracture of the Femoral Trochlea and Patella Rehab Protocol
- Cartilage restoration MACI/DeNovo/Biocartilage (Femoral Condyle) Rehab Protocol
- Cartilage restoration MACI/DeNovo/Biocartilage (Trochlea or Patella) Rehab Protocol
- Osteochondral Autograft Transplant (OATS) Rehab Protocol
- Osteochondral Allograft Implantation Rehab Protocol
- Medial Patellofemoral Ligament Reconstruction
- Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy (Distal Realignment) Post-Operative Rehab Protocol
- High Tibial Osteotomy Post-Operative Rehabilitation Protocol
- Meniscus Transplantation Rehab Protocol
- PCL Rehab Protocol
- Unicompartmental Knee Rehab Protocol
- Total Knee Replacement Rehab Protocol